Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Welcoming - by John Behnke


John Benhke's paintings are meticulously detailed and there is elaborate stories behind the different components of his work. For example this painting, "The Welcoming". First the details of the painting, and then the story..






The Welcoming
By John Behnke..

I am not a bad person, but is it still wrong to wish for a large amount of pain on someone? Yeah - I have a problems with my family. It's not like I dont have a good reason to dislike them. In fact, I would expect you to do the same.

After my father died, my mom became a control freak, and as a result, made my brothers and sisters clones to her image. I was fine with it, until I saw my husband for the first time. Frances is my husband. I really do love him, but my mom would care less. Once she saw that he was African American, she lost it and told me that if I was to marry him, our kids would look like little monsters. I was insulted and told her to go to hell. I thought that my sisters and brothers would understand my point of view, but they only cared about the way I talked to my mother to control. So I just gave up trying to please my family, and started to love Frances' family instead.

After eight years of living in the city with Frances and four wonderful kids, my sister Anna, called telling me that my mother wanted to to come over for Thanksgiving. There was still hatred inside of me, but I was able to see through them just one more time. The car ride was pretty awkward for my husband. I could have left him home with the kids, but I wanted them to see that I actually married Frances. The longer the ride took to get to my mothers house the more time I had to think about things she did to me, and I realized how much I truly hated her. At this point of time I just wished my stupid siblings died in a fire.

They never cared for me. They want to control me and turn me into a robot under my mother's command. Maybe it was a fact that I havent seen my mom in eight years, but I can't see any joy in coming to see her on Thanksgiving. I could be with Frances' family instead of being with people I hate.

We were about two blocks away from the house and I started to see smoke. At first I thought it could have been cookout, but when Frances turned the corner to my mother's house we saw the flames. My wish had come true, but I wasnt happy about it. Instead I started to remember all the good times I had with her and also I remembered that my brother and sister were my best friends when I was growing. But now I've wished them all away and now I'm left with ashes..

RELATED LINKS..
# John Behnke...
# John Behnke: Golden Country, 2011...
# The Welcoming - by John Behnke [Golden Country, 2011]

No comments:

Post a Comment